Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Melbourne Central Business District (CBD)?
Melbourne's main business district is located in it's centre and is commonly referred to as the CBD. It also contains a vast array of nightlife venues , eateries and accommodation providers. See this map for an overview.
How do i get between Melbourne's Tullamarine (international) airport and the CBD?
Tullamarine airport is located approximately 20km north/west of the CBD and is shown in this map. the recommended travel methods are:
- Skybus www.skybus.com.au
- AU$24 return per adult
- Runs between airport and Southern Cross Station (see CBD map)
- Departs every 10-15 minutes
- Approximately AU$55 one way between airport and CBD
- Cab rank at airport, so no need to book in advance
Where is Swinburne University's Hawthorn campus located?
Hawthorn is located in Melbourne's inner east, approximately 8km from the CBD. The address is John Street, Hawthorn, and is shown in this map.
How do I get between Swinburne University's Hawthorn campus and the CBD?
Swinburne has compiled some useful information available here. The recommended travel methods are:
- Train www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au
- Melbourne's train system is arranged in a simple star topology.
- The closest train station to the conference is Glenferrie station, which is on the Alamein, Lilydale and Belgrave train lines. Check to make sure the train is stopping at Glenferrie before boarding, as some trains may run express past Glenferrie station.
- The closest train station to the preferred accommodation providers in the city is Flinders Street station
- Travel time between Hawthorn and CBD via train is approximately 15-20 minutes
- A full-fare Zone 1 ticket is required for travel between Hawthorn and the CBD. A ticket can be purchased at the station prior to travel. Daily Zone 1 tickets are the most effectively priced ticket (assuming you will travel via train more than once during a day), and cost AU$6.30. Further information available here.
- Approximately AU$20 one way between Hawthorn and CBD
- Booking in advance is recommended especially for trips originating from Hawthorn
- Yellow Cabs, Silver Top Taxis
Where within Swinburne University's Hawthorn campus is the conference being held?
The conference is being held within the Engineering (EN) building, shown on this campus map as building 17. The main conference proceedings are occurring in the EN101 ground floor lecture theatre, whilst refreshments and poster presentations will be in the EN201/202 first floor conference room (up one flight of escalators from EN101).
Where can I go to eat, drink and be merry?
Whilst in Hawthorn, simple snacks and drinks can be purchased from either of the on campus catering providers: Haddons Cafe Bar (building 18 on the campus map) and Coffee HQ (building 12 on the campus map). For more substantial meals, Glenferrie road provides a vast array of places to dine!
Dining venues in the CBD are abundant. Southbank, Swanston Street Walk and Little Bourke Street (China Town) are favourite spots. Further details are available here.
The conference's preferred accommodation providers are not really what I had in mind. Where else could I stay?
The CBD contains the largest concentration of accommodation providers that have the best accessibility to the conference venue and greater Melbourne for those wanting to have a look around. A list of inner city accommodation providers is available here.