Winter 2012 Undergraduate Internship at CAIAMonday June 18th 2012 -- Friday July 27th 2012***** NOTE: DATE TO SUBMIT KEY EXTENDED UNTIL FRIDAY 8TH JUNE *****
CAIA is offering an internship over the winter 2012 break for a student who is currently 2 (or more) years through a Telecommunications Engineering, Electronic Engineering or Computer Engineering bachelors degree at an Australian university (or an approved double-degree containing one of those degree programs). The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in IP data networking and be curious about research in Internet protocol design, development and evaluation.
The internship will last for 6 weeks, from Monday June 18th 2012 to Friday July 27th 2012. Applicants are expected to be available for the entire 6 week period.
Potential applicants should make initial contact with CAIA by midday, Monday May 7th, 2012.
The Successful applicant will be assigned to a project based on our evaluation of applicant skill-set and academic record. You will work with a member of CAIA Research staff as directed by Professor Grenville Armitage
Internships are an opportunity to explore life in a research centre, collaborate with experienced academic staff and do a research project outside the boundaries of a regular undergraduate curriculum. Many students have taken internships at CAIA in past years.
You will begin to appreciate the combination of action and imagination that drives modern data networking research.
You may even have fun.
A tax-exempt stipend of $400/week will be paid to the intern under this scheme.
This internship is limited to students who meet the following criteria:
- By the end of this current semester you will have completed 2 (or more) years of a Telecommunications Engineering, Electronic Engineering or Computer Engineering bachelors degree at an Australian university (or an approved double-degree containing one of those degree programs).
- In 2nd semester 2012 you will be continuing the bachelors degree (or double degree) listed in the preceding point.
- You have achieved an average grade of at least 75% over your most recent 150 credit points of subjects studied for your Telecomms Engineering, Electronic Engineering or Computer Engineering degree. (A typical semester will have subjects totalling 50 credit points, so for many applicants this amounts to your most recent 3 semesters or 1.5 years up to the end of 2011. It is not necessary that each subject's grades are above 75%, but the overall average must exceed 75%.)
How to apply:
The application is in four parts. (Yes, this is a modest screening process.)
Put together a single page document (ASCII or pdf) that clearly:
- States why you wish to be considered for this Internship (no more than half a page)
- States that you are available full time from Monday June 18th to Friday July 27th 2012.
- Documents all your academic results (each subject and associated numeric grade) for the most recent 150 credit points (three semesters, which will not include 1st Semester 2012 - see criteria above).
Second: By 12pm (midday) Monday May 7th, 2012:
Third: By Wednesday May 9th 2012 you will receive an email requesting that you upload your document from Step 1 using SCP to an IP address specified in this email.
- You must complete this upload step by 5pm Friday May 11th 2012. (You will not need a password. If this requirement does not make sense, re-consider step 2.)
Fourth: On Tuesday May 15th 2012 we will contact all applicants by email regarding the results of this application process (and next steps, if any)
Note: Applications MUST be in pdf (with .pdf extension) or ASCII text (with .txt extension).
Final selection of applicants:
- Applications submitted in MS Word, OpenOffice, or any other format (including latex, nroff or paper) will be ignored.
We may choose to use followup phone or in-person interviews to make our final selection. More details will be available after Tuesday May 15th 2012. Where an objective tie-break is required, we will chose the person whose SSH key arrived first (in step 2 above).