Dr. David Hayes
- Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics
- Communication Society member
- Member of Engineers Australia (MIEAust)
- Information, Telecommunications, and Electronics
Engineering (ITEE) College
- BE(Elec), Queensland University of Technology, 1987
- DipTh, ACT,1997
- PhD, University of Melbourne, 2002 - "Congestion
management of packet switched networks"
Network protocol engineering, network performance analysis,
teletraffic engineering, test and measurement of network
characteristics, network modelling, etc in all the different
flavours and varieties of networks.
- Performance analysis: building testbeds, ns2 and custom
event based simulation, Simulink, Petri Nets.
- Programming: C/C++ (including FreeBSD kernel
development), Matlab, Python, and unix shell scripting.
- Operating systems: FreeBSD and Linux
- Research Fellow/Engineer, Centre for Advanced Internet
- Delay and Rated based TCP algorithm implementation,
and experimental performance analysis.
- "Stateless" TCP
- FreeBSD kernel implementation of Network Address
Translation (NAT) for the Stream Control Transmission
- Private research on optimizing transport layer send rates
when there is packet corruption
- Senior Lecturer, School of Software Engineering and Data
Communications, Queensland University of Technology (QUT)
- Management: Subject Area Group leader - Networks and Security
- Teaching: Network Technologies
- Supervision: various network related student projects and research.
- Research Fellow, Ericisson Melbourne University
Laboratory (EMUlab merged into CUBIN)
- Continued network congestion research (Dual Queue
scheduling) and a bit of work on probing in relation to Voice
over IP (VoIP)
- Part time lecturer/tutor, RMIT University (Melbourne
Australia) in Communication engineering.
- Lecturer, Ngee Ann Polytechnic (Singapore)
- Teaching networking related subjects, HDLC protocol
computer aided learning module development, supervised various
networking based student projects.
- Design and development engineer, Telstra, working on
various electronic design and development projects.